CHICAGO- SAN FRANCISCO:
Aviation Geek Details:
- Airline and flight number: United Flight UA2166
- Route: Chicago (O’Hare)-San Francisco
- Aircraft: Boeing 757-300
- Airplane (registration and year built): N57862, built in 2001 for ATA, transferred to Continental in 2010.
- Miles flown: 1,849 miles.
- Flight duration: 4 hours and 10 minutes.
- Class of Service and Seat: First Class, seat 3F
- This is my: 689th flight on 95 airlines.
- This is my: 199th flight on United Airlines mainline
- This is my: 14th flight on a Boeing 757-300, 63rd flight on a Boeing 757 series aircraft.
Check out the ORD-SFO flight report video here:
Experience/Total stars: 3.0/5 stars-The definition of average.
- Check-in: 5/5 stars– I was able to complete check-in online including all document checks.
- Lounge: 3/5 stars- The United Club at O’Hare was a standard United Club which is average at best. The Polaris lounge was at O’Hare was closed and due to the late arrival into SFO I didn’t really have time to experience the SFO Polaris lounge. Had I actually had some Polaris lounge time, I’m sure the lounge rating would have been better.
- Boarding: 4/5 stars- I like the new United boarding procedure and it definitely cuts down on the gate lice. A greeting at the door boarding UA2166 would have been nice but overall boarding for both flights was smooth and easy.
- Seat: 3/5- Pretty average, the seats were standard First Class lounger seats, comfortable enough for a four-hour flight.
- In-Flight Entertainment: 0/5 stars- What in-flight entertainment? Nothing worked, the power plugs, the wifi, nor the streaming entertainment.
- Meals: 3/5- The menu was pretty creative but the execution was pretty meh.
- Cabin Crew: 3/5- No greeting upon boarding was a big negative mark. In flight the crew was pretty good but nothing over the top.
- Cabin ambiance: 3/5- Standard 757 cabin, nothing special but acceptable.
- Cabin cleanliness: 4/5- The cabin was clean upon boarding and remained clean throughout the flight. I feel like the bathrooms on US carriers always suffer a bit as the flight progresses and this was no exception.
- Price paid and value for money: 5/5- I paid about $3,200 for the Business Class roundtrip, so no complaints there.
- Thumbs down: No greeting at the door, the flight was 90-minutes late, power outlets, wifi, and streaming entertainment didn’t work.
- Thumbs up: The cabin was clean and the crew was good.
Aviation Geek Details:
- Airline and flight number: United Flight UA888
- Route: San Francisco-Beijing
- Aircraft: Boeing 777-300
- Airplane (registration and year built): N2341U, built in 2017
- Miles flown: 6,061 miles.
- Flight duration: 12 hours and 9 minutes.
- Class of Service and Seat: Polaris Business suite, seat 3A
- This is my: 690th flight on 95 airlines.
- This is my: 200th flight on United Airlines mainline
- This is my: 15th flight on a Boeing 777-300, 80th flight on a Boeing 777 series aircraft.
- Check-in: 5/5 stars– I was able to complete check-in on line including all document checks.
- Lounge: 5/5 stars- I only had about five minutes in the SFO Polaris lounge but as far as airline lounges go, the Polaris lounge gets 5 of 5 stars.
- Boarding: 5/5 stars- With two boarding gates both in use for Polaris, boarding was quick and punctuated by a nice greeting at the aircraft door.
- Seat: 4.5/5- The seat is a HUGE improvement over either of the other current United Business Class seats but storage is still bit of an issue. Overall though, the seat is well designed and the all-aisle access is phenomenal!
- In-Flight Entertainment: 4.5/5- I love the new flight map and while it is no ICE, there is more than enough to keep anyone entertained on a long flight.
- Meals: 4/5- The lunch was actually pretty solid (minues the lima beans) but the second meal service left a bit to be desired.
- Cabin Crew: 3/5- The crew were polite enough but they definitely didn’t go above and beyond. I honestly am not one who likes to be fawned over and the service on the likes of Singapore Airlines actually makes me uncomfortable but the crew make up a large part of the Polaris soft product and this crew just didn’t live up to the promise of Polaris.
- Cabin ambiance: 5/5- I like the blue mood lighting, the color scheme and the branding throughout the cabin.
- Cabin cleanliness: 2/5- The cabin was clean but the bathrooms were disgusting and unacceptable!
- Price paid and value for money: 5/5- The $3,200 paid for the roundtrip was a great value, no complaints!
- Thumbs down: Mediocre cabin crew, filthy bathrooms, mediocre second meal service.
- Thumbs up: Great hard product, good first meal service, good amenities.
Check out the SFO-PEK flight report video here:
Check out my time in Shanghai here:
And don’t forget to read my blog from my 72-hours in Shanghai RIGHT HERE!